Friday, February 22, 2013

Fan Art Friday


Today's first piece of fan art is from W. Means. It's a super-sassy portrait of Eep and the man-eating plant that she wrestled in Chris Sanders' Croods storyboards. I've been doing this blog for a little over a year, and this is the first time I've seen anyone draw Eep in this particular style. It reminds me of the 70/80s MAD Magazine art, with a bit of old-timey fairground caricature in there for added zing. From the flirty pose to the cocky facial expression, W. Means' Eep is oozing with attitude and appeal.

Come to think of it, Chris Sanders would probably get a kick out this pic, too. Heaven knows he loves the cutie-pie pin-ups, arched arches and curled toes!



These next two drawings were done by former Fan Art Friday contributor, Michael (a.k.a. Cliffjumperprime2). Michael's original submissions were a trio of colorful critter still lifes. This time around, Michael has upped the ante, adding action poses, landscapes and additional critters to his drawings. What's more, each of these drawings TELLS A STORY.

In the first drawing, we see one of those ludicrous-looking liyotes being chased by a piranhakeet. The way Michael drew the liyote's tongue dangling out of his mouth, blowing in the breeze, cracks me up. The second drawing portrays a slightly more serene scene. In it, we see the Macawnivore (a.k.a. Chunky Death!) watching from the top of a cliff as a couple of crocopups gnaw on what's left of some poor critter's skeleton. As a Disneyland die-hard, this scene immediately brought to mind the moment in The Jungle Cruise where your boat happens upon a family of lions eating a zebra. ("Look, kids. It’s Simba and Nala from The Lion King. Aw, that Zebra is dead tired.") For that alone: ALL-CAPS KUDOS.

One more strange compliment: I really like the almost sinewy look of the cliff in the second drawing. It kinda looks like muscle tissue, but clearly reads as rock. It's a new approach, and I think it works wonderfully.

13 comments:

  1. I have another Croods drawing.Which I drew at school, But my scannier is becoming a real pain, So I`ll probalay post it next week or some other time on Deviantart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please pass the link on to me when you do!

      Delete
    2. Finally! My scanner just recently scanned it and now its on Deviantart. :) http://cliffjumperprime2.deviantart.com/art/The-Croods-Croodaceous-landscape-355920899 And theres also a link to a bonus Croods crossover with one of my favorite cartoons of All time :)
      http://cliffjumperprime2.deviantart.com/art/DreamWorks-Crood-ED-Awakening-356051786

      Delete
    3. I will DEFINITELY be using these in an upcoming Fan Art Friday. Thanks so much for sending me the links!

      Delete
  2. I love all of the fan art your posting lately. I came accross another video review from someone who saw the movie. He thought the movie was spectacular.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IUOJNsCpcg&feature=youtu.be&a

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take a listen to a 31-second preview of (Owl City ft. Yuna - Shine Your Way) sound track from the movie.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBygbZF77CM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been too kind to me lately, Bob. Too kind!

      Delete
    2. I'm happy to help just a little...

      Delete
    3. "A little"?! Damn, man -- you're this blog's MVP!

      Delete
  4. http://www.thecroodsmovie.com/memory/
    found this on the Croods website, if you play it on Hard you can spot some new creatures such as a Cat-Fish Hybrid and a feathered camel creature and the Dog-horse from the teaser poster. And a Girelephant

    ReplyDelete