Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Croods Comic Writer Answers All My Questions

What a pleasant surprise THIS was! Georgia Ball -- creator of the webcomic Scooter and Ferret and writer of Ape Comics' Strawberry Shortcake -- recently happened across my blog post about the Croods prequel comic. Ball not only reprinted bits of it on her Tumblr, she answered every single question I had regarding the project!

From Ball's Tumblr, Ask Maridee:

Croods Prequel Comic

I was waiting until I saw a Facebook announcement from Ape, but as it turns out the word has been in other places, there will be a Croods prequel comic book coming soon and one of my stories is in it.

See this quote from a Croods blog (wow there’s a Croods blog):
I don’t know which part of that press release I’m more excited about. A Croods prequel comic book, or the fact that some marketing firm got a green light on the term ‘prehysterical.’ No matter. I’ll take ‘em both.
I really liked seeing this question:
croodsCOMICbook
A couple of quick questions, though. If the plot of The Croods hinges on the fact that the family has never left their cave, does that mean that the prequel will take place entirely within its stony confines? Are kids really going want to read 125 pages of My Campfire With Andre? Or will the prequel be the story of how the Croods’ first found their cave, and why Grug decided to lock them all inside? A “prehysterical” re-telling of  The Shining, perhaps?
Yes we really did have to deal with that question. It was the first question I asked when I read the script. But the Croods do have to leave their caves sometimes to hunt, so it’s not spoiling too much to say we did get to take them out of the cave. A little.
The confusing part of the solicitation is that my name is in it, because my story is not very long and definitely not the lead… Nathan Watson is my artist though:
Ape Entertainment proudly presents the official prequel to Dreamworks’ upcoming blockbuster family film, The Croods! Join Grug, Ugga, Eep, Thunk, Gran and a host of forgotten prehistoric creatures in one family’s adventures before their adventure of a lifetime! Featuring stories by Georgia Ball (Strawberry Shortcake) and art by Nathan Watson (Toy Story), this is one prehysterical tale you won’t want to miss!
But it is included and I’m looking forward to the release!

Thanks so much for the answers, Georgia! Folks interested in learning more about Ms. Ball and her work should check out her Tumblr, her portfolio, the Scooter and Ferret strips and Ape Comics' page for Strawberry Shortcake. Homegirl is PROLIFIC.

No comments:

Post a Comment