Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Here It Is! The Trailer! Right Here!

Now with an intro from the directors!

My scattered, sleep-deprived thoughts:

I am so, so thrilled by this trailer! It's captivating. It's beautiful. And how cool is it that DreamWorks chose a tone of wonder and adventure instead of aiming for an imagined lowest common denominator and/or piling on the 'tude?

The scale of everything is awesome. The first time that parrot/turtle mash-up flies overhead...whoa. And when the trailer quickly cuts through the various environments that the Croods will encounter, my eyeballs went into sugar shock. Seeing this on the big screen will surely be something special.

Family. The fact that the WHOLE TRAILER was centered on the family only heightened my hopes that this will be yet another Chris Sanders (and Kirk De Micco!) masterpiece. Sanders' thematic specialty thus far has been the exploration of fractured families. His silly and sensitive insights into the endless struggles of keeping a family together are what made me first fall in love with his work. The Croods looks to continue this exploration.

The Croods themselves look great. In Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics, McCloud says something to the effect of, 'The more cartoony the character, the more it allows the reader (or viewer) to personally identify with them.' Thankfully, Sanders and De Micco have chosen an unabashedly animated approach to their leads' looks. No photo-realistic faces is good faces, I always say. (Well, I will from now on, anyway.)

Did I mention BEAUTIFUL?

Commenter Bob summed this all up perfectly, saying, "The trailer was everything I thought it was going to be and maybe even more."

Indeed!

What do y'all think?

15 comments:

  1. its not workin...

    i think you should add it from youtube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please try refreshing the page. I was wrestling with the HTML a little, so that might've messed it up while you were trying.

      Delete
  2. It won't work for those who don't have QuickTime installed on their computers.

    BTW, The trailer was everything I thought it was going to be and maybe even more - I can't wait for the movie to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! Can't wait for March.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The trailer is awesome! and the voice acting and animation is brilliant too!

    the only other thing i wanted it to include is some moments between guy and eep !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please retire the Nick Cage guy(seriously he is not convincing as actor or even voice actor), and also I am sick and tired of rebellious teen stories, that thanks to their stubbornness(I.E. "Brave" not listening mother)we need to follow teens with their thinking and actions that makes it OK somehow???!!!?This is parental nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dude wth
      you want to be trapped in a cave your whole life?
      or get force-married? be forced to be someone you're not? and do chores you don't even need???

      gee man =.=

      Delete
  6. S, Are you saying that the better message is to isolate our kids and make them afraid of the big bad world out there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't tell if 'S' came here looking for a fight, or if he genuinely could not find ONE positive thing to say about the trailer. I keep hoping he's going to post a follow-up comment where he gives a thumbs-up to Crispy Bear or at least a half-hearted hurrah to the folks in charge of freckles.

      Anne_Frank29 once tweeted something about her blog's commenters that could easily be applied here: "In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart."

      Delete
  7. Ju-osh, There is a problem since you put the trailer up. I don't have QuickTime on my computer so when I come here or try to post a message, a file is downloaded to my computer (thecroods-tlr1_r640s).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed, my brother. Sorry for any inconveniences.

      Delete
    2. Are you kidding? You're my #1, non-computer resource for new Croods news. It's the least I could do!

      Delete
  8. That is utterly beautiful. When this opens, I expect to see a lot of reviews saying that at last, for all its commercial successes, DreamWorks has only now managed to create something as visually appealing as their well-known competitor.

    Have to agree with the negative comments about the voice acting, though. It won't hurt the film at the box office, but I'm not feeling Nic Cage or Emma Stone one bit. It's possible that in context the script is so strong I'll be able to put that aside and lose myself in the film, but I dunno. I'm hyper fussy about voice artists, and I'll happily watch animated crayon drawings if the voices are right. (Lilo and Stitch apart from everything else was perhaps the best cast animated film of all time.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're probably enjoying your care-free, blog-free lifestyle nowadays, but the world -- MY world -- would be a better place with more of your critical insights.

      "Lilo and Stitch apart from everything else was perhaps the best cast animated film of all time."

      It's lines like this that make me want to read a nice, long, Chris Sanders-centric blog post from you! What sort of dirt do I have to dig up on you to blackmail you back into blogging?!

      Delete